We’re delighted to be hosting our first Make Happen and Royal Institution Online Computer Science Masterclass series for Year 9s!
Royal Institution (Ri) Online Computer Science Masterclasses are series of workshops that are led by experts from industry, academia and education.
Computer Science Masterclasses are designed to excite and engage young people in the creativity and practice of computer science, helping to highlight the links between this wide-reaching discipline and other subjects.
Back in November 2021, students took part in the Royal Institution (Ri) Online Maths Masterclass series, which were very well-attended with pupils from 8 schools across Essex taking part.
Places remain limited this year, so we invite schools to express their interest in our November – December 2022 series using the form below. Ri Masterclasses will take place on Saturday mornings over Zoom, with students logging in from home.
All state-funded secondary schools in Essex are welcome to apply. Priority will be given to students who are from one/or more of the following underrepresented groups:
- Students with a declared disability (SEND)
- Service Children (from a military family background)
- Gypsy, Roma and Traveller
Please be aware that Ri Masterclasses are very popular and often oversubscribed, so we cannot guarantee that all schools will gain a place. Selection criteria applies.
Timetable for this term’s series:
- Monday 10 – Friday 14 October: Expressions of interest are open for all state-funded secondary schools in Essex.
- Monday 17 October: Schools will be contacted about whether they have been successful or unsuccessful in receiving places for their Year 9 pupils to attend the Make Happen and Royal Institution Online Computer Science Masterclasses.
- Monday 17 October – Friday 4 November (midday): Successful schools will nominate a maximum of three Year 9 pupils who are well-motivated, judged to have an interest in the classes, curious about Computer Science/STEM and who has not previously taken part in a Royal Institution (Ri) Online Masterclasses, for a place on the series. Nominees must be willing to commit to all four sessions in the series. Schools will be required to collect and return signed parent/carer consent forms during this window.
- Monday 7 – Friday 11 November: Nominated students and their parents/carers will be contacted about whether they have been successful or unsuccessful in receiving a place on the series. Successful students will be provided with all login details, such as Zoom links.
- Monday 14 November: Teachers are asked to confirm that successful students have received their invitation and login details.
Masterclasses are expected to take place on these dates
Saturday 19 November: first Ri Masterclass OR Saturday 26 November TBC
Saturday 3 December: second Ri Masterclass
Saturday 10 December: third Ri Masterclass
Express your interest now!
Please express your school’s interest by completing this form by 5pm Friday 14 October.