If you’re an in-school co-ordinator within a school with a sixth form, you can now encourage your students to apply for the Aspire and Aspire Higher programmes for 2020-21.
Funded by Make Happen, and led by the University of Essex, Aspire offers year 10 and year 11 students the chance to take part, and Aspire Higher is for students in years 12 and 13. There are up to 20 places available for schools, on each programme and eligibility criteria for applying students is:
- Students from an NCOP postcode area (90% of the students you nominate should meet this)
- Students who are likely to achieve BBB at A-level or BTEC equivalent (Aspire Higher only)
- Students who are likely to achieve, or who have achieved, 5 GCSEs at level 4 or above
- Students you think would benefit from the programme
- Students who have been disproportionally affected by the COVID-19 pandemic
This opportunity is intended to be delivered virtually until Easter, with no time away from lessons unless agreed in advance with school or sixth form staff.
Aspire is a one-year programme of free activity to help year 10 and 11 students decide what they want to do with their future, by providing help to explore all of the different opportunities on offer once they have finished school. Watch the Aspire video for years 10 and 11 to find out more .
About Aspire Higher
This is a one-year programme offered by the University of Essex and its partners to help year 12 and 13 students decide what they would like to do with their future when they have finished college or sixth form studies. Watch the Aspire Higher video for years 12 to 13 to find out more.
Find out more about the application process
The deadline for applications is Sunday 11 October at 9pm.
Both the student application form and the parent, guardian or carer consent form need to be completed by this date for an application to be considered. The Aspire team will contact you with a list of students they would like to admit to the programme on Monday 12 October or Tuesday 13 October to ask you to confirm support of their participation.
What you need to do next:
- Please send your students the Aspire form year 10 and 11 or the Aspire Higher form year 12 and 13 nomination document for them to complete.
- You may also amend this text and send it to the parents, guardians or carers of nominated students.
- Share the Aspire video recording within class time
- Share the Aspire Higher video within class time
- Please be ready to confirm support for the students we select by 10am on Thursday 15 October – we will be in touch to tell you how to do this
If you have any questions, please get in touch with Dr. Katie Groves at email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org